In a YouTube video, Tyrese slammed reality TV shows making claims that such shows influence our own reality. He believes consuming negative content is what causes so many issues in our lives and relationships and he even went as far as labeling the media as “devils.”
“This is another form of the devil’s work. Blogs and websites, press and media, they have a job to do. They do. But unfortunately, a lot of married couples don’t end up on the covers of some of our favorite magazines until they file for divorce, which makes getting a divorce more popular than the marriages that actually work.”
Ty feels there should be more media attention around husbands and wives who are happily functioning and the press should highlight on things such as love and beauty.
“You’re at home and you’re looking at shows like The Housewives or all of these different reality TV shows and in your mind, this reality becomes your reality. You find yourself arguing and having issues at your house and in your marriage and in your family that are directly influenced from the sh*t that you’re seeing on TV. You don’t even know it.”
“You as a woman you’re sitting there watching TV in which women complain and have issues and conflicts in their marriages that are filmed on a reality show. And they’re directly influencing issues and conflicts that are being created in your house. That is not your f*cking marriage. Those are not your issues!”
(above info retrieved from website: http://www.theybf.com)
Sigh, so let me jump right into this, trust me it will be quick and simple. Tyrese definitely has his right to feel the way he does. I understand where I think he was getting at, but the other half of me is like “dude shut up”.
I would have to say that I understand his point of view if he was relating his rant towards adolescents or teenagers, but he is talking about grown ass women in relationships. I know that teenagers can be very impressionable and may think that this is how women are supposed to act to get money, attention, power, etc. However, isn’t it the parents job to make sure their kids are on the right path and do not stray or act in a way that is unacceptable in their eyes. It’s kind of like the people who were up in arms about cartoon shows like Family Guy, American Dad, and The Cleveland Show being a bit too risque for late night T.V. Now did you see what I just wrote there?? It’s on LATE NIGHT televison, why are you worried about the kind of jokes that are being told on this show when your ten year old should have his ass in bed, yes or no?? These shows come on at 11 at night, why are your kids up? If you are so worried, then set up some kind of parental lock on you T.V, turn to Nick Jr on and go about your business, but adult swim is EXACTLY THAT, for adults.
Now back to Ty and his nonsense, let’s iron out some points:
- I’m sorry but if you are in your late 20′ or 30’s, married, and you take these kind of shows seriously, then you are an idiot. Everyone on this planet knows they are scripted, even the “actors” on said shows have admitted that. So if your marriage is in trouble of ANY kind only because of the drama you watch on T.V, then you don’t need to be married, CASE CLOSED.
- You can watch anything on T.V and be brainwashed, so lets not get it twisted. You have guys who literally play video games all damn day where they are shooting, killing, plotting, and scheming. Now if one of them decided to take random strangers out with an AK47, then he is an idiot as well. If you can’t tell the difference between fake and reality then it’s time to get evaluated, because all your crayons aren’t in the box.
- Let’s stop putting this stigma on black women as a whole, there are plenty of ratchet reality shows that have white and indian women acting a hot mess as well. I would list them now, but I did say I was going to keep this short.
- I am all for Tyrese wanting better for his people, because hell so do I, but I just can’t seem to find the correlation between black marriages and reality T.V shows.
- ANY marriage can fail because of a number of issues, such as lack of communication, verbal, emotional, or physical abuse, financial problems, lack of trust, cheating, fuckery, debauchery, I can go on. But if ANYYYYYYYY of the reasons for your marriage failing has to do with you watching a reality show once or twice a week, then I really think so much more help is needed.